"A meek endeavor to the triumph" by Sampath Jayarathna

Thursday, September 02, 2010

About me...............

E-mail address : UKSJayarathna(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Graduate standing : First year PhD (MS from Texas State University-San Marcos)

Why are you taking this class? My undergraduate research background is “Offline Character Recognition”, so I feel comfortable taking a course similar to my research interests. Also I hope the course content will give me some interesting clues to some of my pet research ideas. 

What experience do you bring to this class?
This is my 6th year in the HCI research field, and I’m specifically interested on “Biologically inspired mathematical models”. I want to apply some of AI techniques to sketch recognition, say Fuzzy Logic. Any ideas people?  

What do you expect to be doing in 10 years?
Doing research on anything I like (hopefully something related to my PhD) (ii) working with graduate students (iii) teaching classes (I love teaching) (iv) applying for grants (v) flying around to work with other researchers and to give talks on my research

What do you think will be the next biggest technological advancement in computer science?
I’m expecting eye tracking technology (not the biggest though) to kicks in within next couple of month’s/year’s time. At least the notebook guys are having trouble with finding ways to keep their toys expensive (fingerprinting is already there, and some sort of voice/face recognition systems too),  so we have something realistic like in “Minority Report”.

What was your favorite course when you were an undergraduate?
“Remote Sensing & Geographic Information Systems (GIS)”, I ended up getting A+ for it.

What is your favorite movie and why?
The Man from Earth”. I like movies which makes you to go back see what they are saying is true and end up feeling amazed how they organize and blend real world facts into the movie. Something like Da Vinci Code, and National Treasure.  May be I'm a bit biased to the "The Man from Earth", its producer Eric D. Wilkinson personally commented and thanked on my blog post about his movie.

If you could travel back in time, who would you like to meet and why?
This is kind a common answer I guess. But I desperately need to thank my Dad for everything he did for me.    

Give some interesting fact about yourself
Read my Bio here.


No comments: