"A meek endeavor to the triumph" by Sampath Jayarathna

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Best of "The Voice" Season 2 - My Favorites

I don't normally follow most of these super star competitions, including most of the Sri Lankan copycat versions and UK, US talent shows. But "The Voice", I guess something pretty cool, apart from how it selects competitors just by the voice (which is called blind auditions), the season 2 just blew my mind by the shear talent of these guys.  Specially Tony Lucca and Jamar Rogers, two of my favorites in the competition right now, and still I believe Jesse Campbell (after that epic battle with Anthony Evans) is going to get the title this time. Jesse's voice and performance is freakingly alien and flawless, I cannot imagine anybody else can beat him in final battle rounds, except may be Jamar or  Jermaine Paul (Alicia Keys backup singer). Thats freaking awesome, Jesse, Jamar and Jermaine........3 J's.............

The series consists of three phases: a blind audition, a battle phase, and live performance shows. Four judges/coaches, all noteworthy recording artists, choose teams of contestants through a blind audition process. Each judge has the length of the auditioner's performance (about one minute) to decide if he or she wants that singer on his or her team; if two or more judges want the same singer (as happens frequently), the singer has the final choice of coach.

Each team of singers is mentored and developed by its respective coach. In the second stage, called the battle phase, coaches have two of their team members battle against each other directly by singing the same song together, with the coach choosing which team member to advance from each of individual "battles" into the first live round. Within that first live round, the surviving acts from each team again compete head-to-head, with public votes determining one of two acts from each team that will advance to the final eight, while the coach chooses which of the remaining three acts comprises the other performer remaining on the team.

In the final phase, the remaining contestants (Final 8) compete against each other in live broadcasts. The television audience and the coaches have equal say 50/50 in deciding who moves on to the final 4 phase. With one team member remaining for each coach, the (final 4) contestants compete against each other in the finale with the outcome decided solely by public vote.

Here's few of my favorites during the Blind Audition rounds, and its damn cool, some performances are better than the originals, specially Jamar's "Seven Nation Army". 

Jamar Rogers - "Seven Nation Army" (The Voice Season 2 Blind Audition)

Tony Lucca - "Trouble " (The Voice Season 2 Blind Audition)

 Jesse Campbell - "A Song for You" (The Voice Season 2 Blind Audition) 


 Erin Martin - "Hey There Delilah" (The Voice Season 2 Blind Audition)
 

Charlotte Sometimes - "Apologize" (The Voice Season 2 Blind Audition) 

Naia Kete - "The Lazy Song"(The Voice Season 2 Blind Audition)  

RaeLynn - "Hell on Heels" (The Voice Season 2 Blind Audition)  

Jermaine Paul - "Complicated" (The Voice Season 2 Blind Audition)   

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very nice read! I just recently got caught up with the battle rounds on my TV provider DISH’s site DISHOnline (Hulu like service) and although I agree with you on certain contestants, there are some I really just can’t get into, like Erin Martin. I have respect for her because she is a bit different, but there is just something about her voice that drives me crazy; I think the Shield Brothers should have taken home the battle round. I am a big fan of Tony Lucca, Jesse and Jamar Rodgers as well though…I hope to see all of them go very far in the competition. In the end, I’m glad the live shows are starting because while my coworker at DISH will be voting for Jermaine Paul, I'll finally be able to get my vote in for Jesse. :)