"A meek endeavor to the triumph" by Sampath Jayarathna

Saturday, November 10, 2012

if your internet connection gets disconnected frequently

Recently my Internet connection started getting disconnected every once in a while during the day. Every time I have to unplug the cable modem connection and plug it back which would eventually start the network connection. I thought its something to do with my ISP Suddenlink.

Netgear N600 Wireless DB Router WNDR3400-100NAS (Google Affiliate Ad)

But after some look around, I guess I found what is going on. My computer power management is setup to go to sleep mode in every couple of minutes and my cable modem power management setup is also setup to turn it off to save the power.

Motorola SB5101 DOCSIS 2.0 Cable Modem (Google Affiliate Ad)

Here's how to remove these power management setup.

In windows 7,
  • click on Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Device Manager
  • Then expand the Network Adapters
  • Right click on your device (Cable Modem, Router etc.) and select properties. 
  • click on Power Managment tab
  • Remove the check mark from "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option. 

No comments: